Aside from an awesome name Apocalypse Meow is a free WordPress plugin built to help keep your site safe and secure.
Sadly as WordPress grows and millions of people start to use it so do the number of hacking attempts, security is often overlooked especially by those who are just casual users. However security is incredibly important, years of work could be lost or defaced in a matter of minutes if security is overlooked.
Here’s a brief overview of how Apocalypse Meow will quickly secure your blog or website from many security attacks;
– Brute-force log-in protection: temporarily disable and replace the log-in form after a specified number of failures are detected.
– Specify minimum password requirements for users to ensure nobody chooses something stupid like “password123″.
– See a complete history of log-in attempts, successes, and bans; optionally downloadable in CSV format.
– Disable the “generator” meta tag, which betrays which version of WordPress you are running (thereby making exploits more easily targetted).
– Prevent the direct execution of PHP scripts in wp-content/.
– Rename the default “admin” user.
It’s free and only takes a few minutes to set up. So what are you waiting for? make sure your website is secure today!
It’s also a good idea to have your website backing up regularly for this I recommend backup to dropbox, another free and excellent WordPress plugin.